banner

This is the autobiographical journal of Arvil Bren, a somewhat reluctant hero who has been placed on an unknown quest by powers that he barely knows exist. Follow his journey as it is updated daily, Monday through Friday, and enjoy! These are the most recent entries in Arvil Bren's third journal; Politics of the Redoran. His first journal can be found in its entirety here. His second journal, Trail of the Archmage can be found here.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

37: Blind canyon

I am puzzled. Azura's star has set, taking the last of the twilight with it, and I am making a cold camp by the light of the moon. I was here at the head of this canyon in time to see the cavern's entrance. At least I thought that I was. But I found no access.

I traveled hard and fast today. I did not even stop to hunt, merely activating the Shadow Shield and disappearing when the creatures of the wastes crossed my path. When I grew fatigued I drew on my flask of restorative and hurried on. Miles of sand passed under my boots. All day I was driven by the impending dusk.

Were the blocky pillars at the mouth of this canyon the teeth of the wind? The wind howls down the canyon. The canyon floor was shrouded in late afternoon shadow, and murky with dust. Is that light strata high on the cliff face the skin of the pearl? Or have I taken a wrong turning, seeing what I wanted to see? There were scant moments when I reached the canyon's head. I must await the dawn.

Am I on the threshold of destiny, or death?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for coming back with some more Arvil! Incidently, is there anything you can do about these spammers? (I do realize that it must be much more annoying to the author who thinks he has actual reader response, but I think we'd all appreciate their absence from this site.)

7:02 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

I trash em out as soon as I see them, but other than that, unfortunately the only thing I can do is turn off the comment fields.

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is tremendous! I so clearly remember this moment - uncertainty, fear, and the strain of attack make this part of the mission nerve-wrackingly exhausting! good to have you back.

- Angela

1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talk about coming back with a bang...

Each entry is really nicely done. I'm sure everyone will agree when I say that we all appreciate your exertions in getting AB caught back up to date.

Thanks,
-Bravo

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home