banner

This is the autobiographical journal of Arvil Bren, a somewhat reluctant hero who has been placed on an unknown quest by powers that he barely knows exist. Follow his journey as it is updated daily, Monday through Friday, and enjoy! These are the most recent entries in Arvil Bren's third journal; Politics of the Redoran. His first journal can be found in its entirety here. His second journal, Trail of the Archmage can be found here.

Monday, June 19, 2006

59: The slowest house

With the backing of the Hlaalu confirmed I woke up this morning and again turned my eye to the east. Getting the Telvanni to agree on a direction and move in concert is like herding netch in a cyclone. I walked to Gnissis to see Baladas. In some ways I felt like I was starting from scratch, but at least I didn't have to fight a daedroth to get in to see him.

"We have been very busy Arvil Bren," he said. "I am really surprised at how much this council business has cut into my time. I hardly get any research done."

"There won't be any research done at all if Dagoth Ur's ash vampires take over your tower." Moon and Star tugged in its pouch, and I was sure that if I slipped it on my finger the glow would be blinding...and angry. "Baladas, the Hlaalu have confirmed me as Hortator. I need to get out in the Ashlands and get the support of the tribes. I don't really have much more time for games with your house."

"I understand," he said, "and so does Aryon, and Neloth. Working with Gothren is hopeless though. I know you want his power aligned against Dagoth Ur, but I don't think there is any solution to his obstruction but the Telvanni solution."

"Meaning kill him," I said to clarify.

"Yes."

"What about Therana?"

"That's another problem," he said.

"You said that she would listen to Neloth."

"She will, and she does...mostly. But she also listens to Gothren. She also listens to spiders."

"Spiders?"

"Yes. Spiders that only she can see. Spiders that she remembers would be more accurate I suppose."

The conversation was drifting. The ring was getting even more impatient, and I must admit that it was drawing me along. "Will I get her support or not?"

"You will if you ask for it."

"So if the rest of the council is united how can Gothren disagree?"

"He says that Therana is not competent to decide such an issue. True enough, really. Therana no longer really recognizes what the Hortator is. Her vote makes no difference, but she has powerful retainers that will be very useful against Dagoth Ur, otherwise I would have supported Trerayne Dalen's claim to Tel Branora."

"Trerayne Dalen? Who is that?" I asked.

"She is an Oathman of the house," he said. "She has gotten embroiled in a feud with Therana; a feud which Therana is completely ignoring, or perhaps is not even aware of. Dalen would certainly support you if she were elevated to Therana's seat on the council, and Aryon and I gave it some consideration. She just does not have enough to offer."

"Enough to offer? Now you sound like the Hlaalu, selling council seats at auction."

"I'm not talking about gold, Arvil Bren, I'm talking about power. She and her retainers do not have the power to take Tel Branora without help, they would be of little use against Dagoth Ur."

"Better something than nothing," I mused.

"True, and Therana herself is of no use at all; but her retainers are loyal not just to her, they are loyal to the house, and they are very strong. If Therana would allow it they would crush Dalen and her rag tag band. They will be very good to have on our side, but with the uproar in Tel Branora we aren't getting anywhere."

So I am once again at sea, rounding Vvardenfell on the Grytewake. This time I have no need for the guise of a trader. As claimant to the title of Hortator it is my responsibility to make peace between the conflicting factions in Tel Branora...one way or another.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim may I say your writing is brilliant. I have read every entry from day 1. Can't wait till the next chapter


-Tom

4:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You posted one when I wasn't watching! Sneaky Tim! (Great entry btw)

-Nivekclough

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice entry Tim although I think the chapter should be titled "The slowest blogger"...

3:26 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

This is a long and difficult chapter to write...I'll leave it to your imagination what it's about...and I got one of those surprising summer opportunities so I am declaring a summer vacation through the fourth of July...come back then for the fireworks!

As to the 'slowest blogger'...I've made 264 entries in 18 months...all original writing, not links or clippings...while I'm on vacation I challenge anyone to find another blog with a comparable record.

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well. I'm certainly pleased with your efforts Tim. You show real dediction. And that is very admirable.

Keep on Writing your magic!

1:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your on Tim!

4:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great time to take a vacation! I just got back from music camp and didn't miss anything. I'll be waiting for you on July 4th.

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, there's frostinmorrowind.blogspot.com that is coming close.

5:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of other blogs, I'd like to "advertise" one of my favorite blogs, but it doesn't seem to have too many readers. http://www.willsyras.blogspot.com/

Give it a try.

Sorry Tim, I won't clutter up your comment...thing with more advertisements.

-Noozooroo

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know, I hate you. because now after reading this masterpiece I cant read any other morrowind journal-style story. its all your fault for spoiling me.
you're writing style is very fluid and descriptive. I love it. and on top of that you write the character as a downright likable but neither stupid or overly garrulous person.
In all seriousness, I suggest you mail this to Bethesda. its worthy of publishing. I know I would buy it.

12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know, I hate you. because now after reading this masterpiece I cant read any other morrowind journal-style story. its all your fault for spoiling me.
you're writing style is very fluid and descriptive. I love it. and on top of that you write the character as a downright likable but neither stupid or overly garrulous person.
In all seriousness, I suggest you mail this to Bethesda. its worthy of publishing. I know I would buy it.

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home