banner

This is the autobiographical journal of Arvil Bren, a somewhat reluctant hero who has been placed on an unknown quest by powers that he barely knows exist. Follow his journey as it is updated daily, Monday through Friday, and enjoy! These are the most recent entries in Arvil Bren's third journal; Politics of the Redoran. His first journal can be found in its entirety here. His second journal, Trail of the Archmage can be found here.

Friday, April 01, 2005

Day Eighty-five: The Emperor's plan

I am worried about my reception at the Urshilaku camp. Hopefully the security of a larger clan will give me a moment to speak my piece. At small hunting camps it appears an outlander qualifies for killing on sight. I am once again bedded down in such a small camp, surrounded by my dead hosts. I don't really want to carve a swath of death through the Ashlands. That doesn't seem appropriate for the Nerevarine.

Being the Nerevarine, or at least looking very much like the Nerevarine, was the Emperor's plan for me all along. After breakfast at the guild hall I went to see Caius. He has come to trust me; enough to share the original coded message I delivered to him the first time I saw him. In it the Emperor directed that he use me and the Nerevarine prophecies to further the Empire's objectives in Morrowind. He apparently looks at the Prophecy as somewhat of a native superstition, but ordered that it be treated seriously. We have. So seriously that Caius has come to pretty firmly believe it. Dunmer live for centuries. They are not easily taken in, even the so called 'primitive' Ashlanders.

Whether to find out if I am the Nerevarine, or to find out what would be required to make me look like the Nerevarine, the next step is to approach the Nerevarine Cult directly. The Urshilaku clan leaders head the cult, so I am on the journey to their camp. My first stop is in Maar Gan to check in with a friend of Caius; a scout who can give me directions.

The Mage's Guild, which I joined to provide cover for my covert activities, is certainly providing it now. Doubly so. Ranis in Balmora and Edwinna in Ald-ruhn are reporting that I am holed up in my lab in Ald-ruhn. Under that cover they think I am on my way to the Dwemer ruins, with a stop in Maar Gan for Ranis. The Dark Brotherhood will have a hard time tracking me through all that haze. For my part I left Ald-ruhn hidden by my chameleon amulet and disappeared into the wastes. Tomorrow I will enter Maar Gan, and pursue my destiny.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the revelation of Arvil as the Nerevarine is coming without enough foreshadowing and development of the identity - in fact, when he first began suspecting he was the Nerevarine, there was no reason for him to do so. It felt like it poppped up out of the blue, though as a player of the game I obviously already knew. Your journal's still quite good, but you haven't put enough effort into the Nerevarine plot yet.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Took a while to think about whether to go into my reasoning here or not. Mostly I wanted to answer though because I value the input.

The Nerevarine is 'born on a certain day...' and in the game no reference is ever made to what day that is...but I can't help but think that among all the references to 'the certain day' someone would spill to Arvil what day that was. When the 'certain day' turned out to be his own birthday it would be a pretty obvious answer to the mystery of why the Emperor would get involved in pardoning some petty thief...a question Arvil was asking from day one.

I haven't gone a lot into his background because in my view there isn't much. He arrived in Vvardenfell young, and went to prison younger. I've thrown in some stuff about his adopted 'father' and his death to establish that Arvil has literally no relatives and no home to get back to. Overall there just isn't much interesting about being a kid sidekick of a petty thief, now deceased.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home