banner

This is the autobiographical journal of Arvil Bren, a somewhat reluctant hero who has been placed on an unknown quest by powers that he barely knows exist. Follow his journey as it is updated daily, Monday through Friday, and enjoy! These are the most recent entries in Arvil Bren's third journal; Politics of the Redoran. His first journal can be found in its entirety here. His second journal, Trail of the Archmage can be found here.

Monday, February 20, 2006

19: Under construction

I set out this morning from Ald-ruhn. Lord Hlaren Ramoran, another member of the council, has dispatched me to Gnisis to collect taxes. For some reason the regular packet has not arrived, and with Ald-ruhn and the council in chaos he cannot go himself. I'm concerned that there may be more to this delay than just disruption in delivery. With all the Redoran's attention turned to Red Mountain the outlying areas may be thinking they can assert themselves for some reason. I hope that I can convince the hetman that things are normal, and he and the collection of taxes need to be also.

Before I get to Lord Ramoran's territory though, I am inspecting my own. Strange to write those words. Not long ago I was a pauper, and a prisoner; now I am a titled landholder. A manor house. Remarkable.

Actually, it is just the shell of a manor house so far, but I am certainly appreciating the shelter it provides tonight as the ashstorm rages outside. Bugdul gro-Kharbush, the foreman, assures me that it will be completed as scheduled even though they are a bit behind right now. The early stages of the construction went a bit slowly. Even the great strength of the orcs on gro-Karbush's crew could not progress quickly against the blowing ash that seems to get more and more frequent. Now that they are mostly working inside he is driving them hard.

Because of the storm I did not have much opportunity to assess my domain. Not much assessment required, really. The sand, the tangles of trama vine, the spires of ancient rock carved into eerie shapes by the ceaseless wind; it is the ashlands. My time with the Urshilaku has brought me into a communion with this vast wilderness, and I will be an honorable steward of this region.

That stewardship is yet to be approved by Bolvyn Venim. Though his specific approval is not required, as the head of the council he is the one who actually signs the title orders. According to Sarethi this will be the first time he will be signing an order by direction of the council that he himself did not initiate, or at least strongly support. He could refuse. By house law the council will then have to face the question of whether to install a new head of the council or reverse their decision on the issue.

Sarethi would opt for stripping Venim of his position, no question, but the others who support me would probably not go that far. They wouldn't yet. Lady Morvayn perhaps. I still have much to do, and this is only the first step. Hlaalu, Telvanni, the four tribes; building the storm against Red Mountain is a long trial. I must endure, like the rocky spires of my newfound lands.

Waxing philosophical must be cut short. The construction crew is setting aside their tools. It is always a shock to see the reverence Orcs have for their tools, be they armor and warhammer or saw and chisel. But once the tools are carefully set for the night, in the way of Orcs the sujamma will flow, and there will be no more to write...or no sense to write it at least.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like what you have done. BUT!!
You have two problems..
ONE: Have not returned to Valenvaryon too rescue Abelle Criditte.
Two: You have killed the smugglers
in Shurinbaal near Gnaar Mok.
This maynot be an problem it's one of the Quests you get from
Athyn Sarethi in Ald'ruhn. His
next quest maybe! I think you took
out and "killed" the loard of Milk.
"Arethan Mandas" I believe that's
how you gotten your Ebony Armor!
I think you can do an Placeatpc
"arethan mandas" 1,1,1 or not he
one of the Blocked characters in
TES. So go back to MILK an go down
near the firecamp site near the
bedrolls before the pond of water!
To replace him if you can!!
Either way Athyn Sarethi is not
going to be happy!!
Third and Last!! The propylon
index's, Falasmaryon Index is at
the Maar Gan Temple shrine near
that big rock. They will not give
it up! You must seal it! You're
in the Temple, you'll have to get
this item later within the MAIN
QUEST, befor you see the High Fane
in Vivec..

P.S. If I'am not right about MILK
am sorry!! I LIKE I LIKE what you
do!!!

6:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello,
i was reading and thinking if you ever thought about writing your own stories, not that this one of Avril isn't yours, but basicly the background of this story is someone elses doing. but i'm sure you could be a writer with your own worlds and stories (hopefully fantasy=).
so i'm looking forward to see books with your name on them in stores one day=D

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, construction of a stronghold....whenever I check on mine, the stronghold seems to have grown, but aal the workersmare standing about asking if I want to know the latest rumors (i thought the Nereverine prophecy was just...) when they should be building my d*** stronghold!

- Noozooroo

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK your little problems continues..
Remember your story with the Master Marksman at Falasmaryon Stronghold. YOU RAILDED IT! Falasmaryon is an quests given, by the Treasury Lady, Faral Retheran Redoran Canton, too kill Dagoth Tanis. Inside the stronghold is an darkelf wearing Glass Armor on his body was an "NAMED" Ancestor Ghost Ring!!! If you don't have it you need to...
Additem "Expensive_Ring_01_HRDT

P.S. I think this is the last problem... If any more I let
you know...

10:12 AM  
Blogger Xikorolkel said...

Man, it's gotta be annoying to hear about all these little game details. Hopefully, Tim's known what he was doing and just swtiched up the order on some things. If he didn't though, it's nice for somebody to have pointed out how to fix such things before a brick wall gets hit.

I hope you're not discouraged by any of this, Tim.

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to say that i love this blog, i have read it in a week and am now an avid reader keep up the good work, it helps that ive just started a new game on morrowin

Well done again
Jamie

12:41 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Discouraged? Hardly. These aren't really problems. Most quests in the game, if you do them ahead of time they still work fine. For example, in the game Athyn Sarethi assigned the smuggler problem, and immediately after thanked Arvil for taking care of it...a conversation that I just didn't bother to report.

The real hard parts are situations where the game is easily solved as long as you ignore any attempt at realism. Rescuing Varvur Sarethi for example. All Morrowind players know that Arvil could have walked into Venim manor, past all the guards, walked in plain view behind the guarded curtain, picked the lock, then used numerous variations of walking back out with Varvur...my favorite being turning him invisible.

But why would these highly trained guards let someone just waltz on in? How could Arvil continue to function in Ald-ruhn after blatantly crossing the head of the house? Solving the quests without glaringly flying in the face of realism is the hard part.

That loose end about Abelle Criditte has been nagging at me, but I was pretending no one else would notice... I will take care of it, trust me.

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would be funny if one day Arvil woke up to a dagger in his heart held by Abelle.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home