banner

This is the autobiographical journal of Arvil Bren, a somewhat reluctant hero who has been placed on an unknown quest by powers that he barely knows exist. Follow his journey as it is updated daily, Monday through Friday, and enjoy! These are the most recent entries in Arvil Bren's third journal; Politics of the Redoran. His first journal can be found in its entirety here. His second journal, Trail of the Archmage can be found here.

Thursday, December 16, 2004

Day Nine: Taking cover in the Mage's Guild

A very successful trip has boosted my confidence, and on the morrow I will return to the scene of my near demise, the old Dunmer tomb with it's undead guardians. Besides a boost in confidence, my trip has left me much better equipped for the challenge. My blunted spear has been replaced with an enchanted spear that will pierce even the ghostly plane of my spectral assailants. One of my Blades compatriots provided a steel breastplate to replace the iron that I found in the smuggler's cave, and from another I purchased, at a striking discount, some fast acting restoratives to heal my wounds. I also put together a complete alchemist's laboratory and refined some other restoratives for myself to quickly remedy the fatigue of my journeys. Overall, it is a new man these fell creatures shall be facing!

In addition to my physical acquisitions I thoroughly enjoyed my day with the mages of Balmora. I cannot say that they would all consider me a friend yet, but they definitely accepted me into their circle. I demonstrated an eagerness to learn, vastly expanding my arsenal of spells, and did not stint on passing out the gold drakes in my gratitude for their teaching. Ajira did turn out to be most welcoming, and connected me to the Khajiit network. The cat-people are known for their taste for moon sugar, and Ajira and a local trader, Ra'Virr, purchased all that I had. Ra'Virr also has a connection among the Telvanni that supplies him with exceptional enchanted weapons at a remarkably good price, and I am very pleased with the devil spear he provided.

I would cheerfully help Ajira with a small favor she asked of me, even if it wasn't considered my duty as an Associate in the guild. She is conducting a study of the alchemical powers of the local fungi, and when she heard that I was returning to the swamps of the Bitter Coast asked me to pick up some samples for her. As she is the Guild Steward's apprentice, I expect doing a small favor for her will carry the weight of a larger favor for someone else. The Mage's Guild seems to operate very much on personalities and relationships rather than real objective rules.

The Blades, on the other hand, are a well organized, almost military operation. In meeting my new fellows I was honestly impressed with their immediate response to me. I get the feeling that they would have given me the exact same welcome if I was an Imperial native of Cyrodiil or an Argonian lizard man fresh from the swamps of Black Marsh. Actually, one of my new compatriots is an Argonian, though he certainly did not just crawl out of the swamps. He lives in a sturdy house in Balmora; not in the best part of town, but better situated than Caius' scruffy abode. Nine-Toes has been assigned to map the Bitter Coast region. He continued my introduction to the world of the spy by informing me he does not know why this mapping is called for, and he does not ask. The only reason he informed me of his task at all was that he considered it a possibility that I could assist him, which I will happily do. I can continue my explorations as part of my studies with the Mage's Guild, which will enhance my own cover, and at the same time build my reputation in the Blades by quietly reporting to Nine-Toes.

For now though, it is good to retire to my own cot once again. I must be well rested for tomorrow's foray into the depths!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home