banner

This is the autobiographical journal of Arvil Bren, a somewhat reluctant hero who has been placed on an unknown quest by powers that he barely knows exist. Follow his journey as it is updated daily, Monday through Friday, and enjoy! These are the most recent entries in Arvil Bren's third journal; Politics of the Redoran. His first journal can be found in its entirety here. His second journal, Trail of the Archmage can be found here.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Day 128: Mixed feelings

It is good to be home, and healthy. To relax and spend the day with friends was a luxury beyond measure. A rare luxury that I doubt I will see again for some time, if ever. The pace of my fate seems to never slacken. I must either run with it or be cast aside.

I used my recall spell to return home early this morning, surprising Ahnassi with breakfast in bed. Surprising a Khajiit, especially a Khajiit of her standing in the thieve's guild, is not easy. She laughed, and pointed out that some would consider teleporting into the house with breakfast already prepared on the tray to be cheating. Divayth Fyr's chef sets an excellent table.

Once all was settled at home I teleported to Balmora. Wyan, the smith at the fighter's guild there is one of very few smiths who will handle jinkblades. He made a fair offer on one of the adamantium shortswords and I hardly negotiated. The other has been added to my collection. I keep thinking that someday I will be able to settle peacefully and open an armorer's shop. My skill as a smith is not great, but it is adequate, and we could live a life of wealth and ease selling off the fine weapons and armor that are cluttering our basement. I am beset from all directions though. Settling peacefully does not appear likely any time soon.

When I slipped invisibly into the poorest quarters to appear at Caius' house fate gave me another huge yank forward, away from any thoughts of refuge. Caius has been recalled to Cyrodiil. He has given me a promotion; making me the highest ranking member of the Blades in Vvardenfell. Highest ranking that he knows of anyway. His intention is not for me to take over running the organization, but I will be a bit of a figurehead until he returns. If he returns. He is concerned that he may face some tough questions about his use of moon sugar. Some advice he gave me today has me wondering if he will be able to make it back.

Caius has family in Cyrodiil; family that could be put at risk if his actions don't measure up within the emperor's secret service. I, on the other hand, have none. Caius suggested I should be thinking locally. It was a hard thing to hear from the ranking spymaster, but he is anticipating the fall of the empire, or at least the loss of the eastern provinces, including Morrowind. The legions are stretched too thin to really hold them, and even at that they cost more to maintain than the income the empire generates from the provinces they govern. The emperor is not well, and the succession is not clear. Recall of the legions to maintain order through what may be a very difficult transition will effectively return Morrowind to the Dunmer; to the rule of the great houses and the temple. The Nerevarine is supposed to drive out the outlanders. What if they just leave?

My final stop in Balmora was at the guild hall. I have never spoken of my activities with the Blades, and Ranis never asks; but nothing escapes her watchful red eyes. Her network of information is certainly different from Caius', but has apparently led her to some similar conclusions. Our conversation avoided the questions of why and when, but did explore how the guild would operate in a free Morrowind. It becomes clearer with each passing moment that replacing Trebonius is imperative. If the legions leave House Telvanni would immediately strike the guild, and with that buffoon at the helm our ship will surely be sunk.

Ahnassi and I had dinner at the Halfway Tavern and danced through the evening to top off a day free of my fate. Tomorrow I, like the sun, must rise to the occasion.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are, without a doubt, one of the best authors on the Internet. I am hanging on your every word, and was fevershly waiting for today's article. I can't wait to see what happens, and just though you might think it cool that your blog of Avril Bren has inspired me to actually finish Morrowind for once, rather than just killing people. Keep up the awsome work!

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

..... definitely!
And even though I've completed Morrowind, I still love reading your daily journal; it's as if I know someone whose been there too - not many people i know have! And the mix of adventure and "personal" detail is so original - makes Morrowind even more addictive, if that's possible, even after completing it. (Although I have to confess I still go for strolls from Balmora to Caldera under the clear blue skies, and say hallo to Creeper just for old times sake!) Thank you.

- Angela

1:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I second, or is it third, those comments Tim. I found myself late last night, (our time), waiting for the next installment. Keep up the good work.

3:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice one! You are doing really well with this. I hope you can keep it up!

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home