banner

This is the autobiographical journal of Arvil Bren, a somewhat reluctant hero who has been placed on an unknown quest by powers that he barely knows exist. Follow his journey as it is updated daily, Monday through Friday, and enjoy! These are the most recent entries in Arvil Bren's third journal; Politics of the Redoran. His first journal can be found in its entirety here. His second journal, Trail of the Archmage can be found here.

Friday, May 20, 2005

Day 120: Incurable

I have caught the corprus disease. I have caught the corprus disease. I reached the Sixth House base. I found Dagoth Gares. I killed him. With his dying breath he cursed me with the corprus disease. I have caught the corprus disease, and there is no cure.

I am sitting on a stone altar deep in Ilinubi cavern. There doesn't seem to be much point in going anywhere. I have the corprus disease. Before we battled Dagoth Gares called me Nerevar. He said if I go to Red Mountain and submit to Dagoth Ur that I will be welcomed as a friend by the Sixth House. He said that the Sixth House, House Dagoth, was not destroyed, only sleeping. He delivered a message from Dagoth Ur. Then he cursed me with corprus disease. I have corprus disease.

My mind will deteriorate until I am raving, my body will grow wild lumps of flesh whenever I am injured, and in my madness I will cause my own injuries; tearing my own flesh to eat. My own flesh; Dagoth Gares says the sleepers call it the divine food when they eat their own flesh. Dagoth Gares; he gave me the corprus disease. I am cursed.

The Temple considers the 'divine disease' a sign of evil. They will destroy me given the chance. People will shun me. I cannot go home. I have the corprus disease. I will die a raving mad hulking beast.

It is a disease of the mind. I will lose my skills. The mage's guild will not allow me in their halls. I will never be the Archmage of Vvardenfell. I will not even be a mage. I will be a grotesque beast built on the frame of a man. The frame of a man who is dying. Actually, the frame of a man already dead; dead of the incurable corprus disease. I could just lie here on the cool stones of the altar to die. The Sixth House has broken and fled this place. Ilinubi could be my tomb.

Wait. Dagoth Gares called me Nerevar. The Nerevarine prophecies spoke of corprus. What did they say? I must remember. "The curse of flesh before him flees" It is the second trial of the seven visions. "Curse of flesh" must be the corprus. Nibani thought it was, but it must be. She didn't know what it meant, but it must mean that I get cured of the disease. If I am the Nerevarine I must get cured. Maybe if I find the Nerevarine he cures me to show that he is the Nerevarine. Nibani said that I had a part to play, but I wasn't necessarily the Nerevarine.

I could go to Red Mountain and present myself to Dagoth Ur. Dagoth Gares said that Dagoth Ur wants me as an ally. More likely a slave. But he cursed me with the corprus. And he called me Nerevar; not someone for Nerevar to heal; Nerevar.

I must make note of all that Dagoth Gares said before he died. My mind may grow weak before I am cured. I am Nerevar. I must be cured. To think otherwise is too horrible to contemplate. I must be cured.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Err, 1 small problem, the archived days go from day 1-100, but the "more recent days" start at 106... where should one go to read days 101-105?

4:52 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Sorry. Updating archives right now.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Arvil's Dusty Tomes has been brought current...again, thanks for bringing that to my attention!

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the story so far - my own character JessaBella (my wife and daughters names) has just got to the same point (I only just recently discovered the game), so it was interesting to see how Arvil handled himself

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The moment when you realise you have got Corprus Disease, after all the hype you hear about its horrors, was perfectly captured. I remember feeling quite numb at that point in the game! It is an amazing game that can make you feel like that! Thank you for recapturing it so vividly - it took me right back......... as does so much of Arvil's journal.

- Angela

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can tell you with the atmosphere from the Caves and the presence of the 6th house, I was shocked. That place was creepy and then to top it off you get the curse. I thought at first that I had made a mistake in the game, and so reloaded, did it again. Tried killing him from a distance, nothing worked. After a brief visit online, my fears were answered but the plot was given away and I cannot replicate that first fear. Much like the awe i had seeing the Nedra for the first time.

Thanks Tim/Arvil, this (and the news of Oblivion) has given me back an obssession I had thought lost. I am rediscovering Vvardenfell, just a tad behind Arvil. On my way up to talk to the Ashlanders in their native enviroment.

Skevin

5:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home