banner

This is the autobiographical journal of Arvil Bren, a somewhat reluctant hero who has been placed on an unknown quest by powers that he barely knows exist. Follow his journey as it is updated daily, Monday through Friday, and enjoy! These are the most recent entries in Arvil Bren's third journal; Politics of the Redoran. His first journal can be found in its entirety here. His second journal, Trail of the Archmage can be found here.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

7: Strange strangers

Nerevarine, Hortator, Archmage of Vvardenfell; none of my titles, either current or hoped for, would be honored by my current state of drunkenness. Languishing in Ebonheart hoping for an audience with Duke Vedam Dren, staying in an inn frequented by off duty Imperial Legions, it just seemed to be the thing to do. A break.

This morning I certainly saw the need to take breaks. I spent much of the day in company with a trader I met on the road, Teris Raledran. Company, I think, is what Teris desperately needed, though initially he suggested traveling together for safety on the road to Vivec. He insisted on compensating me for protecting him and his companion Rollie, even though the Vivec Road through the Ascadian Isles is still among the safest stretches in Vvardenfell.

It didn't take long to realize that Teris needed a break, or at least someone to talk to. He probably doesn't think so. He included Rollie in the conversation as much as he included me. Rollie is a guar. Needless to say he was not talking, a condition that Teris attributed to Rollie being 'shy with strangers'. I wanted to scream 'he is a GUAR!', but I refrained. It takes all kinds.

For my trouble I was led to a fantastic shop located incongruously in the canalworks of the foriegn quarter of Vivec. Agrippina Herrenia has the finest inventory of clothing I've seen in Vvardenfell, much of it apparently delivered on the back of Rollie the Guar...who Agrippina has also never heard to speak.

At any rate, after a brief check at my office in Vivec I delivered myself to Castle Ebonheart. I successfully got myself placed on the Duke's agenda for tomorrow and checked myself into the Six Fishes. The food is good, and the huge Nord behind the bar pours with a very liberal hand, making it no surprise that the place is a favored haunt of the legions.

Fortunately the garrison here in Ebonheart seems to be mostly Cyrodiils. Far more refined than the numerous Orcs recruited for the frontiers, and much easier to drink with. I should be able to make tomorrow's appointment with a minimal hangover.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

A brief warning...with the holiday weekend I might not stay on track, and there is some question about next week. My girlfriend is going out of town on business, meaning one of two things: either I will have a lot of time to write, or I will go with her and have no net access...so episodes may post sort of willy-nilly for a while.

On the other hand...I'm once again really enjoying playing Morrowind, and writing this journal. I think the break, with all the other games I burnt out on, was a rejuvenating thing. You can count on Arvil Bren's adventures continuing.

PS: The recent hiatus was an opportunity for some new readers to catch up...next week might offer the same thing...tell your friends!!!

PPS: At some point in December I expect the counter to hit 50000... much thanks to each and every one of you!!!

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stuff, missed Arvil and his adventures. Hope you have a Thanksgiving and the story will surely be missed!

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love reading your adventures through the life of Arvil Bren, and no matter how long you take a break for -- wanted or not, I stayed with my routine, and always checked.

I hope you have a great Thanksgiving, and come back ready to thrill us once more!

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a great weekend - we'll still all be here when you get back! We are all thoroughly hooked on your journal and will wait ....... with anticipation!

The story is brilliant. I'm loving it Thank you.

By the way, Google has stopped asking me if i mean "Avril" when I type in Arvil!! Hurray! Did you drop them a hint?

- Angela

4:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story, as is all the rest. There's one curious thing that keeps me wondering, though.
Why did you start renumbering the episodes after "55: Morag Tong", after that comes "Politics of the Redoran" (no number) and then "2: Mystery of the Morag Tong".

Not that it matters, but it keeps my head busy.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always, a quality update. I also agree with Tchakkuzulu, what was up with that numbering? Anyways, I re-read all of Arvil's Adventures, and have noticed how much Arvil has changed, from when he was a newly released prisoner, and now to being the Nerevarine. You, Tim, are a marvelous writer, and have covered all the effects that newly-found wealth and true love can do to a man (or Breton). A great story, looking forward to reading the next update.

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home