banner

This is the autobiographical journal of Arvil Bren, a somewhat reluctant hero who has been placed on an unknown quest by powers that he barely knows exist. Follow his journey as it is updated daily, Monday through Friday, and enjoy! These are the most recent entries in Arvil Bren's third journal; Politics of the Redoran. His first journal can be found in its entirety here. His second journal, Trail of the Archmage can be found here.

Monday, March 20, 2006

30: Hortator

I woke up sore this morning. I might have to stop relying so heavily on my various enchantments and try to keep in better natural shape. Jumping around in full ebony armor took a lot out of me. Waking up with Ahnassi purring contentedly in my arms made up for the soreness.

We had a late breakfast at the Halfway Tavern, where news of last night's events had not yet reached. It was good to be just Arvil Bren, the wandering wizard. Even though our friends know that I have 'made good' and become the Archmage, they still treat me as just one of the local folk. It remains to be seen if that will hold true for the Hortator of the Redorans...or the Nerevarine. I hold out little hope. If I had been holding more than a little hope it would have been dashed in Ald-ruhn.

When I arrived at the guild hall the stack of messages let me know immediately that time would not be a luxury. The council had been calling regularly for my presence since shortly after dawn. Immediately following every official summons came a short note from Sarethi; "see me first". When I walked in the door of his manor a page immediately fled for the council chambers, and the new chairman of the council appeared at a trot.

"Hortator," he greeted me. I felt a wash of relief, at least I would not have to fight to hold him to his promise of support.

"Chairman," I responded in kind.

He held out an ornate ring. "This is the Redoran Ring of the Hortator. It will identify you and leave no doubt that you have the full support of the council."

"Excellent," I said, slipping the ring onto my finger.

"Unfortunately that support is putting us in a difficult position." He handed me a broadsheet that had obviously been removed from some posting somewhere. "You have been identified as an Imperial agent, sent to masquerade as the Nerevarine and betray us into even more onerous Imperial rule."

There are times when the only effective thing to do is tell the truth. This was one of those times. "That is true. I was brought to Morrowind specifically because I was born on the right day to be the Nerevarine, and sent immediately to the Imperial spymaster as a member of the Blades. I'm sure this is being released now," I shook the damning public notice, "because the Emperor is just beginning to realize that I have out reached his expectations. Rather than masquerading as the Nerevarine, fulfilling the prophecies is making me the Nerevarine." I reached into my pouch. "You have given me the ring of the Hortator, but this I got from Azura." With that I slid Moon and Star onto my finger and raised my hand high.

Sarethi gasped. "Nerevar."

"Not yet. There is still much to be done. But I am counting on you to hold the base of my support here. I wield the Bone-biter Bow of Sul-Senipul. The Urshilaku, the cult of the Nerevarine, they are mine as well; but two houses and three tribes remain. I cannot wait here for Dagoth Ur, I must rally the rest of Vvardenfell to my banner."

"And you must stay clear of the Tribunal I fear." He handed me a package. It contained a message from Archcanon Saryoni, the High Archcanon of Vivec.

"It is not as bad as it could be. At the highest levels the temple is at least admitting there could be a Nerevarine. When I have met the trials 'three houses name him Hortator' and 'four tribes call him Nerevarine' the Archcanon himself will meet with me to assess my claim. Until then though, it appears the Ordinators would still gut me in an instant to prove that I am not."

Sarethi was incredulous. "Three houses?" he sputtered. "When you said 'rally the rest of Vvardenfell' I assumed you meant to bring the general population under the Redoran banner. The other houses will not accept you as Hortator! The Telvanni? You are the Archmage of the Imperial Mages, their arch enemy! The Hlaalu? Their council is run by Orvas Dren! He hates outlanders with a blinding rage!"

"Great deeds are not made great by the ease with which they are accomplished my friend," I said. The Moon and Star pulsed on my finger as I put my hand on his shoulder. "You have suffered the ancient Altmer curse, you have come to lead your house in interesting times." The glow from the ring spread over his shoulders like a cloak, apparently with soothing effect.

He shook himself. "Of course. You will have the full support of House Redoran, which would have seemed impossible as well not long ago. That in itself may help pave the way."

"No doubt," I said. "Now, let us go speak to the council."

I put the Moon and Star back in my pouch. Sarethi had already been confirmed as chairman, and the service I had rendered and the dire times were sufficient to bring the others solidly into agreement. I will have no problems with Redoran guards, and no interference from the temple with the Redoran Hortator will be tolerated in Redoran territory. How things will be beyond the border remains in doubt.

Once the council had nattered over every word of the official proclamation it was sent on its way, and I went on mine. I would go home, but I want to get started first thing, without risking even the brief walk through Balmora that I normally make, from the temple courtyard to the guild hall. Tomorrow I will stride directly into the den of my foes; the council chamber of house Telvanni.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

An Excellent chapter as always! I really do enjoy the political side of this... it shows so much that you dont get from playing the game. THANKS!

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant - the last two days have been some of your best writing - cant wait for tomorrow

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Great deeds are not made great by the ease with which they are accomplished my friend," was probably the best quote I have read in a long while. Paul is correct, your writing these days is phenominal. Excellent work.

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I echo all the above three entries.

I am so enjoying these current journal postings.

- Angela

1:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, this is definitely some great stuff. I love it.

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I can't wait for next entry! I can just imagine Arvil walking into the middle of a bunch of angry mages...I don't think his Daedric Shield could stand up to that!

-Noozooroo

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just saw the new banner, and I must say I am very impressed. I like the style a lot, and it really is very cool. Great work.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Xikorolkel said...

I love the banner, and of course the chapter too. As much as we've heard about the AI in Oblivion, I really hope that this sort of embelishment is easily woven into that story as well; it'd be a shame if the game actually did that for you.

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I saw the new banner at first glance I thought it was an advertisement because it looks so much clearer than the other one!

-Noozooroo

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I dig the new banner. It is up to the standard of your writing I think, which is saying a lot.

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim, I haven't commented this much ever. Your writing has improved to a level that other writers have no hopes of matching. I'd dare say your writing is better than many published authors.

Keep up the astonishing work!

Nivekclough

6:08 PM  
Blogger Joseph said...

Yes: the new header looks fantastic. I was wondering: is that a custom face texture for Arvil? I just don't recall seeing it elsewhere.

It could be that I just don't remember, though - my memory is sort of spotty.

- Joseph.

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home