banner

This is the autobiographical journal of Arvil Bren, a somewhat reluctant hero who has been placed on an unknown quest by powers that he barely knows exist. Follow his journey as it is updated daily, Monday through Friday, and enjoy! These are the most recent entries in Arvil Bren's third journal; Politics of the Redoran. His first journal can be found in its entirety here. His second journal, Trail of the Archmage can be found here.

Monday, March 06, 2006

24: Lord Ramoran

I took the caravan back to Ald-ruhn this morning. I needed the time to reflect. Collecting the meager taxes was not a difficult task in itself, but some of the questions asked in Gnisis rode my shoulders, taking the spring from my step. Red Mountain, and the defense of Ald-ruhn; with these important matters I had explained away the long absence of Ramoran from his domain. But I was beset by doubts about the Lord of the West Gash. When I arrived in Ald-ruhn I had resolved to set aside my concerns. Getting the support of Lord Ramoran, and the rest of the council, must take precedence.

I delivered the taxes to Ramoran manor, under Skar. The splendid mansion and Lord Ramoran's gleaming armor of Dwemer metal again gave me pause. What sort of Lord could live thus while turning a deaf ear to the trials of his people?

He took the bag of drakes without enthusiasm. "Thank you Arvil Bren. Did the Hetman say anything about the delay?"

"Yes he did. The mine has been shut down by the legion, and the people just didn't have the money."

"Oh. Well, I suppose they could have been forgiven their taxes for a year..." His voice trailed off strangely.

"Lord Ramoran," I began tentatively. There was something very strange about his reactions. I had thought that he was miserly, an autocrat squeezing his people, but he didn't seem all that interested in money either. "I cleared up the problem with the legion and got the mine reopened. The taxes were paid out of an advance I gave them to supply my stronghold at Bal Isra..."

"Very good. I'm glad it all worked out," he said distractedly.

"Lord Ramoran, your people are...concerned. They would no doubt welcome some reassurances from you..."

He sighed deeply. "The weight of leadership is not what I expected it to be Arvil Bren, though I never really wanted it. I have risen to power, and wealth, but it came too late to get me what I really wanted, so it is all hollow now. As you take command of Bal Isra keep your eye on what is truly important."

I thought of Ahnassi. I wasn't sure of exactly what he meant, but something in his voice and the set of his jaw made me think he had to be thinking about a woman. "Whoever you lost, now we must stand against Red Mountain or we will lose all."

He shook himself. "I know. Lately I have just been consumed. I must know what happened to her. In my youth I...could not meet her family's expectations. They are held in great esteem in Vivec, and even though I came from a noble family in the West Gash they thought me little better than an Ashlander. Now I am Lord of the West Gash, but they refuse to speak of her."

"What is her name?" I asked.

"Navilie Saren," he replied.

The way to gain Lord Ramoran's support is clearly obvious, and I hope it will also restore him to the leader that he was in his rise to power. In these times the House needs that from him. I depart for Vivec City in the morning.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, women. Even in Vvardenfell they are sources of misery.

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another great entry. I spent about an hour today getting caught up. If only tommorow were Wednesday!

-Nivekclough

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking a bit about that too. Arvil has not spent time with Ahnassi for quite a while, at least not in the journal entries. It would be kind of cool if Ahnassi played a large part in Arvil's destruction of Dagoth Ur...*hint hint*

I respect that you are a great writer and you have the story go the way you (and the game) want, but the past entries have been a little short, don'cha think? Arvil could do with a little more fighting, though he would kick everyone's asses.

Respectfully,
Noozooroo

4:42 PM  
Blogger Xikorolkel said...

Speaking of Ahnassi, what if Arvil was called away to Solthestan on business for the Mages' Guild and there in the lonely north met someone else. I definitely would want him to stay with Ahnassi, but it could be an interesting character situation for him. He'd be able to be a noble hero in a whole new way.

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to xikorolkel:
Personally, I think Arvil isn't that kind of person, and he would stick with Ahnassi
But it would be interesting.....he culd fall in love with skull-cracker Gaea Artoria. (but I think he would immediately go back to Ahnassi after trying to hold a conversation with Gaea)

-Noozooroo

P.S. crap I cant read the word verification thing!

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home